Helicopter Crewmember, HECM
- Briefs pilots regarding internal/external cargo operations (mission requirements, emergency procedures, flight routes, hazards, communications, etc.).
- Receives briefing from pilots regarding cargo loading, rigging, weight/balance limits, etc.).
- Provides passenger briefing prior to takeoff regarding safety harnesses, crash procedures, emergency operations, personal protective equipment.
- Prepares manifest for personnel/cargo, ensuring allowable payload is not exceeded.
- Prepares cargo load including manifest and load calculations, weight/balance limitations.
- Tags and weighs loads.
- Inspects nets, lead lines, and swivels for serviceability.
- Attaches water bucket to helicopter.
- Attaches longline and remote hook to helicopter.
- Responsible for ensuring safe and proper procedures are followed for all movement around the helicopter.
- Marshals helicopters utilizing hand signals, takeoff/landing; also utilizes radio-patch cord to give verbal instructions to pilots.
- Constructs/prepares landing areas (helispots).
- Performs firefighting duties.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
- S-271, Interagency Helicopter Training Guide
- Qualified FFT2 (Firefighter Type 2)
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: