NWCG Project Priorities
The project list provides a transparent snapshot of the NWCG program of work, past, current, and future. The project list is not intended to be all-encompassing for daily staff work assignments, and it should be not assumed that projects will not move up or down in priority. The NWCG staff spreads daily work assignments across multiple priorities as the entire program of work moves forward.
- Has multiple steps (tasks) and/or people involved.
- Not day-to-day job-related work or ongoing maintenance, occurs outside daily work.
- Has an end date, or requires significant work on a cyclical basis.
- Requires more than a couple of days to complete.
- Considered a significant revision or is a new publication or training course.
- May include agency-specific request that comes to NWCG due to staff skillset.
- Time Sensitive:
- High - Immediate need; timing is critical.
- Moderate – Some urgency, but not critical.
- Low – No urgency.
- Committee priority:
- High – Steward has established this as a high priority.
- Moderate – Steward has established this as a moderate priority.
- Low – Steward has established this as a low priority.
- Level of effort remaining:
- High – Considerable level of work involved to finish project.
- Moderate – Moderate level of work involved to finish project.
- Low – Low level of work involved to finish project.
- Size of audience:
- High – 5001-10000.
- Medium – 1001-5000.
- Low – 1-1000.
- Standards tied to a position? Y/N – Is this project tied to existing standards and/or is an existing standard.
- Required training? Y/N – only applies to training courses; required in the NWCG Standards for Wildland Fire Position Qualifications, PMS 310-1.
- Existing projects that need to be finished? Y/N – May not be the highest priority based on new criteria, but needs to get finished.
- Current material significantly outdated or nonexistent? Y/N – essentially providing no or outdated information related to the training or standard.
- Political sensitivity? Y/N – Deemed politically sensitive by NWCG Executive Board or multiple agencies.
- NWCG Primary Staff (Program Manager, Coordinators, Training Program Manager, Publications Manager, Web Manager).
- Convene monthly to update and reassess project priorities (additions, deletions, priority reassessment) (with Incident and Position Standards Committee (IPSC) and Training Delivery Committee (TDC) assigned representatives).
- Present to Executive Board monthly for concurrence and maintain current priority list on website.
- NWCG Committees
- Submit new project requests to NWCG (figure out what a project request looks like).
- Provide input on priorities for the projects under their stewardship.
- Collaborate with NWCG Training Program Manager on course revision priorities.
- Assist in setting priorities based on agency needs.
- Executive Board
- Review priorities monthly and provide input/readjustment as necessary.
Current Priorities List
|Priority||Project Title||Date Added||Target Date||Comments|
|01||Support for FY21 Training Season (TDC Tasking Memo)||20-09||20-12|
|01||Loading course materials on web for download (required training)||20-05||20-12||COVID motivated priority; also cache inventory driven. 58% complete.|
|02||Creating IPDs||18-01||21-06||75% drafted and approved.|
|03||S-131, Firefighter 1||18-01||20-10|
|04||NWCG Standards for Chainsaw Operations, PMS 212||20-07||21-03|
|05||RT-130, Rework the site design||20-08||20-11|
|06||S-130, Firefighter Training (ILT)||19-06||21-05||In field review status until a test course is identified.|
|07||RT-130, HTTSC: Chainsaw Ops Complexity||20-06||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract w/ specific period of performance; tied to Hughes Corrective Action Plan.|
|08||NWCG Prescribed Fire Summary and Final Complexity Worksheet, PMS 424-1||20-01||Unknown||Pending committee review.|
|09||S-110, Basic Wildland Fire Orientation||20-07||21-06||SME request sent out.|
|10||P-310, FPET Member||20-01||20-10|
|11||NWCG Aviation Mishap Response Checklist, PMS 503||20-05||Unknown||Pending committee review.|
|12||NWCG Standards for Aerial Ignition, PMS 501||20-05||Unknown||Pending committee review|
|13||Aviation Risk Management Workbook, PMS 530-1||20-06||20-12|
|14||6MFS Edit All Entries||20-07||20-11||214 Total|
|15||RT-130, WFSTAR Updates||20-06||20-10|
|16||S-190, Intro to Wildland Fire Behavior (OLT)||20-06||21-06||7/6/20: kick off held.|
|17||RT-130, Mental Health Module (non-FMB)||19-05||21-01|
|18||Fix Printing Option for Position Pages, PMS 310-1||20-06||20-10|
|19||NWCG EB Memo Project||20-08||20-11|
|20||Move Safety Alerts From NIFC to NWCG||20-08||21-01||Create sortable list of all alerts including items already on NWCG.|
|No ranking||Loading course materials on web for download (non-required training)||20-06||Ongoing|
|No ranking||S-130, Firefighter Training (OLT)||20-06||20-10|
|No ranking||NWCG Committee Homepages||20-06||20-11||All pages in new format. 90% finished.|
|No ranking||NWCG Forms Project to OMB||19-05||20-11||On the horizon|
|No ranking||Performance Support Module pages||20-04||20-11|
|No ranking||NWCG Forms Project||19-05||20-11||Gather information before submitting to OMB.|
|No ranking||BehavePlus Online Course||20-02||20-12|
|No ranking||S-445, Training Specialist (OLT)||20-03||20-12|
|No ranking||S-260, Interagency Incident Business Management||20-03||20-12|
|No ranking||RT-130, 360 Point Fire Project Module||20-01||21-03|
|No ranking||RT-300, FUSC: Landscape Scale RX Fire Planning||20-06||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract with specific period of performance.|
|No Ranking||RT-130, SMOC: Planning and Responding to Smoke||20-06||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract with specific period of performance.|
|No ranking||Fixed-Wing Parking Tender, FWPT||19-05||TBD|
|No ranking||S-355, Ground Support Unit Leader||20-06||TBD|
|No ranking||Radio Safety Awareness (5 modules)||TBD|
|No ranking||S-230, Crew Boss (ILT and Blended)||20-06||TBD|
|No ranking||S-373/A-450, UAS Pilot (current ILT, may be blended)||20-06||TBD|
|No ranking||Post Wildfire Recovery Program Website - Moving from FireNet||19-01||Unknown||NWCG partner website. Waiting for content from POCs.|
|No ranking||NWCG Guide to Smoke Management on Prescribed Fires, PMS 420-3||18-04||Unknown||Pending committee review.|
|No ranking||NFDRS Website - Moving from FireNet||19-10||Unknown||Waiting for information from NFDRS personnel.|
Completed Priorities List
|Project Title||Date Added||Completion Date|
|Smoke and Roadway Safety Guide, PMS 477||19-08||20-10|
|NWCG Standards for Wildland Fire Position Qualifications, PMS 310-1||20-08||20-10|
|NWCG Wildland Fire Position Qualification Flowchart, PMS 308||20-08||20-10|
|RXMG PTB, PMS 311||20-08||20-10|
|NFES Catalog -- Part 2: Publications, PMS 449-2||20-10||20-10|
|FMB COVID Request (includes Mental Health Covid)||20-07||20-08|
|Guia de Repuesta de Incidentes Bolsillo (GRI / IRPG), PMS 461 ES||06-19||20-08|
|NWCG GISS Workflow, PMS 936-1||20-01||20-08|
|NWCG Standards for Fire Equipment Storage and Refurbishing, PMS 448 - Annual Update||20-06||20-08|
|Add Training Listing to All Committee/Subcommittee Pages||20-06||20-08|
|10 Standard Firefighting Orders & 18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 110 ES, 118 ES, 110-118 ES||19-09||20-08|
|Create views to show change history for all positions, 1) by position, and 2) by year, PMS 310-1||20-07||20-08|
|Create archived position pages for all archived positions, PMS 310-1||20-07||20-08|
|NWCG Airtanker Base Directory, PMS 507||20-08||20-08|
|S-420, Command and General Staff||20-07|
|10 Standard Firefighting Orders & 18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 110, 118, 110-118||19-09||20-07|
|Move FMB website to NWCG including subgroups||20-07||20-07|
|Week of Remembrance||20-05||20-06|