NWCG Project Priorities
The project list provides a transparent snapshot of the NWCG program of work, past, current, and future. The project list is not intended to be all-encompassing for daily staff work assignments, and it should be not assumed that projects will not move up or down in priority. The NWCG staff spreads daily work assignments across multiple priorities as the entire program of work moves forward.
- Has multiple steps (tasks) and/or people involved.
- Not day-to-day job-related work or ongoing maintenance, occurs outside daily work.
- Has an end date, or requires significant work on a cyclical basis.
- Requires more than a couple of days to complete.
- Considered a significant revision or is a new publication or training course.
- May include agency-specific request that comes to NWCG due to staff skillset.
- Time Sensitive:
- High - Immediate need; timing is critical.
- Moderate – Some urgency, but not critical.
- Low – No urgency.
- Committee priority:
- High – Steward has established this as a high priority.
- Moderate – Steward has established this as a moderate priority.
- Low – Steward has established this as a low priority.
- Level of effort remaining:
- High – Considerable level of work involved to finish project.
- Moderate – Moderate level of work involved to finish project.
- Low – Low level of work involved to finish project.
- Size of audience:
- High – 5001-10000.
- Medium – 1001-5000.
- Low – 1-1000.
- Standards tied to a position? Y/N – Is this project tied to existing standards and/or is an existing standard.
- Required training? Y/N – only applies to training courses; required in the NWCG Standards for Wildland Fire Position Qualifications, PMS 310-1.
- Existing projects that need to be finished? Y/N – May not be the highest priority based on new criteria, but needs to get finished.
- Current material significantly outdated or nonexistent? Y/N – essentially providing no or outdated information related to the training or standard.
- Political sensitivity? Y/N – Deemed politically sensitive by NWCG Executive Board or multiple agencies.
- NWCG Primary Staff (Program Manager, Coordinators, Training Program Manager, Publications Manager, Web Manager).
- Convene monthly to update and reassess project priorities (additions, deletions, priority reassessment) (with IPSC and course delivery group (TBD) assigned representatives).
- Present to Executive Board monthly for concurrence and maintain current priority list on website.
- NWCG Committees
- Submit new project requests to NWCG (figure out what a project request looks like).
- Provide input on priorities for the projects under their stewardship.
- Course Delivery group (TBD)
- Collaborate with NWCG Training Program Manager on course revision priorities.
- Assist in setting priorities based on agency needs.
- Executive Board
- Review priorities monthly and provide input/readjustment as necessary.
Current Priorities List
|Priority||Project Title||Target Date||Comments|
|01||FMB COVID Request (includes Mental Health Covid)||20-07||FMB priority tasking; 5 videos posted, 2 in production.|
|02||Guia de Repuesta de Incidentes Bolsillo (GRI / IRPG), PMS 461 ES||20-07|
|03||Move FMB website to NWCG including subgroups||20-07||FMB priority.|
|04||S-420, Command and General Staff||20-07||IPSC reviewed, ready for EB certification.|
|05||Creating IPDs||21-02||65% drafted and approved.|
|06||Loading course materials on web for download (required training)||20-10||COVID motivated priority; also cache inventory driven.|
|07||S-131, Firefighter 1||20-10|
|08||S-130, Firefighter Training (ILT)||20-10||In field review status until a test course is identified.|
|09||NWCG Standards for Chainsaw Operations, PMS 212||21-03|
|10||RT-130, HTTSC: Chainsaw Ops Complexity||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract w/ specific period of performance; tied to Hughes Corrective Action Plan.|
|11||10 Standard Firefighting Orders & 18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 110 ES, 118 ES, 110-118 ES||20-08|
|12||S-110, Basic Wildland Fire Orientation||20-10||SME request sent out.|
|13||NWCG Prescribed Fire Summary and Final Complexity Worksheet, PMS 424-1||20-07||Pending committee review.|
|14||NWCG GISS Workflow, PMS 936-1||20-07|
|No ranking||S-373/A-450, UAS Pilot (current ILT, may be blended)||Date TBD|
|No ranking||Loading course materials on web for download (non-required training)||Ongoing|
|No ranking||Smoke and Roadway Safety Guide, PMS 477||Pending committee review.|
|No ranking||Fixed-Wing Parking Tender, FWPT||Date TBD|
|No ranking||NWCG Guide to Smoke Management on Prescribed Fires, PMS 420-3||Pending committee review.|
|No ranking||Radio Safety Awareness (5 modules)||Date TBD|
|No ranking||S-355, Ground Support Unit Leader||Date TBD|
|No ranking||S-230, Crew Boss (ILT and Blended)||Date TBD|
|No ranking||BehavePlus Online Course||20-04|
|No ranking||NFDRS Website - Moving from FireNet||20-07||Waiting for information from NFDRS personnel.|
|No ranking||P-310, FPET Member||20-07|
|No ranking||Post Wildfire Recovery Program Website - Moving from FireNet||20-07||NWCG partner website.|
|No ranking||NWCG Standards for Aerial Ignition, PMS 501||20-07|
|No ranking||NWCG Standards for Fire Equipment Storage and Refurbishing, PMS 448 - Annual Update||20-07|
|No ranking||NWCG Aviation Mishap Response Checklist, PMS 503||20-07||Pending committee review.|
|No ranking||RT-130, Mental Health Module (non-FMB)||20-07|
|No ranking||NWCG Committee Homepages||20-08||All pages in new format. 90% finished.|
|No ranking||Fix Printing Option for Position Pages, PMS 310-1||20-08|
|No ranking||Add Training Listing to All Committee/Subcommittee Pages||20-08||Similar to position and publications list.|
|No ranking||Performance Support Module pages||20-08|
|No ranking||Aviation Risk Management Workbook, PMS 530-1||20-10|
|No ranking||S-190, Intro to Wildland Fire Behavior (OLT)||20-10||7/6/20: kick off held.|
|No ranking||S-130, Firefighter Training (OLT)||20-10|
|No ranking||RT-130, WFSTAR Updates||20-10|
|No ranking||NWCG Forms Project||20-11||Gather information before submitting to OMB.|
|No ranking||NWCG Forms Project to OMB||20-11||On the horizon|
|No ranking||S-445, Training Specialist (OLT)||20-12|
|No ranking||S-260, Interagency Incident Business Management||20-12|
|No ranking||RT-300, FUSC: Landscape Scale RX Fire Planning||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract with specific period of performance.|
|No Ranking||RT-130, SMOC: Planning and Responding to Smoke||21-03||Approved FY21 budget request for IDIQ contract with specific period of performance.|
|No ranking||RT-130, 360 Point Fire Project Module||21-03|