RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Core Component(s): Fire and Aviation Operational Safety;
Human Factors, Communication and Decision Making
Estimated Delivery Time: 30 minutes; Video Length: 9:54
Pose thought-provoking questions and discuss the topics of aggressive initial attack, safety culture, and risk management using the tenth firefighting order as an anchor point.
- Review the video and module tools.
- Consider additional activities and discussion questions pertinent to the location and agency.
Facilitating the Discussion
- Show the video.
- Facilitate a small or large group discussion using the discussion questions.
- What does it mean to fight fire aggressively?
- Is aggressive firefighting primarily a physical action? What about aggressive planning or thinking on the fireline (i.e., stop, think, then act)?
- What is the difference between strategy and tactics (hint: why vs. how)?
- How do we provide for safety first?
- What are the five steps of the Risk Management process found in the NWCG Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461?
- What are the five tenets of Highly Reliable Organizations?
- What are the four subcomponents of a Safety Culture?
- Publication: Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
- Publication: 10 Standard Firefighting Orders, PMS 110
- Publication: 10 and 18 Poster, PMS 110-18
- Publication: 18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 118
- Website: Boise BLM Smokejumpers
Additional Video Information
This video is also available as a download. (Size 758MB)
Download the .srt file for closed captioning (you may need to right click and Save As). For information on how to add closed captioning to a video, see this how to page.
Note: For Chrome and Firefox, right click the word download and select Save Link As; For IE, right click and select Save Target As.