Felling Boss, FELB
- Examines felling saw, tools, and supplies for completeness, serviceability, and safety. Saw is typical of the type used by industry fellers. Inspection forms are complete and all unsafe items noted.
- Initiates corrective action needed to ready felling crew for task assignment.
- Corrects deficiencies based on inspection of saw, tools, and supplies and analysis of need to complete task or assignment.
- Keeps the supervisor advised of felling crew progress, problems, and potentially dangerous situations.
- Follows coordination/ communication guidelines.
- Coordinates felling and bucking progress with other supervisors in area.
- Coordinates according to directions/instructions from supervisor.
- Evaluates any felling and bucking problems relating to personnel, equipment maintenance, fire activity, and hazards.
- Takes positive action to correct or avoid felling and bucking problems. Felling and bucking is accomplished safely, effectively, and to desired standards.
- Keeps and records felling equipment and personnel time of each operational period.
- Forms are complete and accurate to the satisfaction of the Equipment Time Recorder, supervisor, and agency requirements.
- Attends operational briefing.
- Obtains briefing from supervisor.
- Ensures assigned resources arrives at assignment location.
- Assesses sawyer capabilities prior to fireline assignment.
- Adjusts felling crew organization to meet changing considerations within guideline constraints from supervisor.
- Ensures proper use, safety, servicing and maintenance of felling equipment.
- Confirms demobilization instructions with supervisor and briefs subordinates.
Position Knowledge and/or Requirements
- S-230, Crew Boss
- S-290, Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior
- Qualified as an FFT1
Page Last Modified / Reviewed: