2017 WOR Day 3: Getting Real About Expected Fire Behavior
Week of Remembrance June 30-July 6, 2017
Fire Order #3: Base all actions on current and expected behavior of the fire
Has a fire ever done something you didn’t expect it to do? It happens often.
On the Nuttall Fire in 2004 an entire Division was surprised by a downhill crown run which put fire below them.
"Not one person on this piece of line — or even the fire — EXPECTED a downhill crown run."
Discuss the following questions:
Does this mean we should base all actions on current and UNexpected fire behavior?
How can you plan for UNexpected fire behavior?
Want context from a real-life event? Watch and discuss Episode 2 of the Nuttall Fire Story video series here:
- 10 & 18 Poster, PMS 110-18
- 10 Standard Firefighting Orders, PMS 110
- 18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 118
- Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
- NWCG Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
- NWCG Standards for Helicopter Operations, PMS 510
- RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
- Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center
Have an idea or feedback?
Share it with the NWCG 6MFS Subcommittee.