2017 WOR Day 4: Getting Real About Complexity
Week of Remembrance June 30-July 6, 2017
Sometimes our plans don’t work out. We know this, that is why we have contingency plans — but how many contingency plans should you have? How do you prepare for the complexity we face?
What if you were dealing with:
- Differing opinions ("Don't go to H-4" or "We're going to H-4")
- First plan doesn't work (escape route cut off)
- Surprising fire behavior
- Not everyone is aware of who is on the line
- Medical emergency
- Layout not known to all (Trail vs. Handline)
Discuss the following questions:
- How will you prepare for each instance?
- How will you prepare for all of them happening at the same time?
Want context from a real-life event? Watch and discuss Episode 3 of the Nuttall Fire Story video series here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yt0l100jpw
Incident Management Situation Report (IMSR)
10 Standard Firefighting Orders, PMS 110
18 Watch Out Situations, PMS 118
10 & 18 Poster, PMS 110-18
NWCG Incident Response Pocket Guide (IRPG), PMS 461
RT-130, Wildland Fire Safety Training Annual Refresher (WFSTAR)
Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)
Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center