IS-700, NIMS: An Introduction added to required training.
Public Information Officer, Technician
The Public Information Officer, Technician (PIOT) participates in the collection and dissemination of incident information and may be the first public point of contact. The PIOT may be assigned to information center operations, community engagement, media relations, or other branches. On a Type 1, 2, or 3 incident, the PIOT reports to the lead Public Information Officer (PIO) as part of the Command Staff. On a Type 4 or 5 incident, the PIOT may work for the public affairs office, Agency Administrator (AA), or Incident Commander (IC). The PIOT works in the Command functional area.
Incident Position Description (IPD) approved.
- There is no position task book and no requirement for incident experience. Agency certification can be accomplished once training is complete.
- All current qualified Public Information Officers (PIOF) can be qualified as PIOT.
- All PIOF trainees will be qualified as a PIOT if they have taken the required PIOT courses.
- S-110 would not be required for qualified or trainee PIOFs once they have taken S-130.
- Read the complete 2021 PIO Transition Plan.